Who Am I?
I am a health professional with over 28 years of medical experience, originally qualifying as a registered nurse and midwife. Having worked with conventional medicine for many years I was inspired to study acupuncture following the profound benefits obtained after receiving acupuncture treatment near my home in Leamington. I developed an appreciation and respect for the benefit that both Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and conventional medicine has to offer.
Initially I studied Western Medical Acupuncture and in due course felt compelled to undertake further studies. I chose the College of Chinese Integrated Medicine (CICM) in Reading which is recognised as one of the leading colleges to study acupuncture. CICM is unique in that it is the only college to incorporate the teaching of both Traditional Chinese Medicine and 5 Element style acupuncture. Having gained a BSc (Hons) degree in acupuncture I have worked for a number of years in Warwickshire developing my skills, primarily Leamington, Warwick & Kenilworth. I have also spent time in China studying and working with advanced acupuncture techniques. I continue to practice nursing part time, which enables me to keep abreast of any changes, appreciating the benefits obtained when Eastern style medicine compliments Western medicine and vice versa. My previous work as a registered nurse and midwife has brought me as far afield as the Middle East and USA, where over the years I have obtained a wealth of experience and knowledge.
I am a member of the British Acupuncture Council (BAcC), The British Academy of Western Medical Acupuncture (MBAWA) and The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and practice in line with their respective code of ethics and code of practice.
I maintain continuous professional development (CPD) by attending regular courses and making sure I’m up to date with new practices and research in the acupuncture world.
Mary Shevlin LicAc BSc(Hons), RGN
- 1977 – State Registered Nurse, Royal City of Dublin Hospital
- 1981 – State Certified Midwife, Coventry Maternity Hospital
- 1986 – Registered Nurse for State of Kentucky, USA
- 1987 – Registered Nurse for State of Maryland, USA
- 1993 – Certified School Nurse, University of Central Birmingham
- 2002 – Licensed Acupuncturist (Lic. Ac.) with The British Academy of Western Acupuncture
- 2003 – Certified in auricular acupuncture for substance misuse (alcohol & drug withdrawal) and stress management, NADA UK – National Acupuncture Detoxification Association
- 2009 – Lic. Ac. BSc (Hons) College of Integrated Chinese Medicine, Reading, UK
- 2011 – Kiiko Matsumoto Japanese Acupuncture CPD for Infertility and Gynaecology
- 2012 – Kiiko Matsumoto Japanese Acupuncture CPD for Head and Neck pain
- 2013 – Advanced Acupuncture Course at Zhejiang Chinese Medical University, Hangzhou, China
I am committed to working with, supporting and encouraging each individual to obtain optimum health. Thus enabling you to live life to the fullest, stepping forward with clarity and confidence.
Being trained in Western and Eastern medicine has allowed me to develop a unique and practical approach to treating patients.
When a patient attends my clinic they can be guaranteed that their condition will be viewed from both a western medical and an energy based perspective. This allows me to take into account all aspects of a person’s lifestyle and diet that may be affecting their health and well being. A plan of care is developed with regular and ongoing assessments which will ensure that the maximum benefits are being realised.
This is achievable when commitment is undertaken by both practitioner and client.
“Change takes but an instant,
it’s resistance to change that takes a lifetime.”